[Ovirt-devel] Skipping the Browser :)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 21:42:17 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 09:12 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> Is everything in ovirt that can be accessed as a GUI (and performed by
>> the GUI) accessible as a web service (by this, I mean something simple
>> like XMLRPC or JSON-over-REST?).    Can there also be an ovirt command
>> line for simple scripting integration?
>>

> As Ian said, we're in the process of defining an API for that; right now
> the htinking is that it will be JSON-over-REST or similar.
>
> What needs to be exposed is at a minimum
>       * VM lifecycle management (start/stop/create/destroy/migrate)
>       * queries for lots of info around the various pools
>       * defining/organizing resources into pools
>       * some higher level ops like 'clear all VM's from this host'
>
> Essentially, everything that you can do through the UI should be
> scriptable.
>
> If you have any specific uses/operations that you want to see supported,
> let me know.

Yep, I'm trying to get at least some people from both sides of the fence
together ... I'll make
sure they hop on here too.

Ideally we could have oVirt be the API for all virt operations and we
just ask the ovirt server
to obey orders.

The couple concerns I have for adoptability there is the usage of the
F9/F10 storage APIs and so forth,
as we have the problem of needing to support RHEL 5 for a long time, so
having two APIs and ways
of managing virt /might/ be a problem.   I am not sure leaving the two
side by side makes sense --
which is what I hope we can figure out.

--Michael