[Ovirt-devel] Details about pending cobbler image support & ovirt integration

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 22:18:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 17:48 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> David Lutterkort wrote:
> >
> > It would be much simpler for VM images to tell cobbler to add an
> > image.xml; all the parameters above are listed in that, and adding a VM
> > image to a cobbler server would be as simple as
> >
> >         # cobbler image add /foo/bar/image.xml
> >

> That would be doable for virt-image cloning where we have a way to
> source it from.   For ISO installs, admins generally don't like to create
> XML, so as with virt-install, there needs to be a way to enter it.

So we'd have a command line tool that basically templates a few values
into a stock image.xml file ?

> To do the above, I really need a utility to extract the XML config
> needed by virt-image from a running/happy guest.
> Can we do that?

No, there's no tool currently that goes from libvirt XML -> image XML,
though it wouldn't be hard to write (especially given the virt-convert
work that John Levon is doing). As with all VM conversions, the real fun
is in the disk conversion - for cobbler, you'd need file-based disks, so
you'd need to do some conversion if the VM is running off of LVM volumes
etc.

David