[Ovirt-devel] OVirt public API

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 15:36:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:14:37PM +0200, Thomas von Steiger wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 11:16 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 21:21 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >>I've no idea how you're anticipating doing the server side coding for
> >>the API, but if there was a way todo it such that the Ruby impl of
> >>the APIs didn't have any direct knowledge of REST, we could add in
> >>other API styles later.
> >
> >The nice thing about REST is that it's very well supported in Rails,
> >the point that exposing things through REST is as simple as doing
> >traditional WUI responses (actually simpler, since you don't have to
> >worry about those pesky views)
>
> Definitve interesting discussion!
>
> XMLRPC  or/and RESTful i found this is a good solution:
>
> http://md314159265.wordpress.com/2006/10/30/comparison-of-rest-vs-xml-rpc/

Frankly that's a rather dubious article, eg to quote

  "REST is an HTTP based protocol. Whereas XML-RPC is XML based."

What network protocol exactly does the author think the XML is being sent
over ?!?!? Does he really think you can't send XML over HTTP ? Or another

  "Advantage of XML-RPC is that it is client independant. Any sort
   of client be it a desktop application a mobile application, a
   mashup using information from your site can easily integrate
   with XML-RPC"

Any client which can make XML-RPC calls, can by definition also make REST
calls, since the both run over HTTP(s). A HTTP client is a neccessary
pre-requisite for both XML-RPC & REST. When they make such basis mistakes
of understanding, any conclusions they may come to are worthless.

Daniel