[Ovirt-devel] re: got it!

mark wagner mwagner at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 18:30:24 UTC 2008

Steve Linabery wrote:
> Pursuant to my previous email with same subject line...
>
> Here's a bit of follow-up information.
>
> The
>          0.upto(@pool.hosts.total_memory) { |x|
> 	        if x % 1024 == 0
>             	scale.push((x / 1024).to_s) # divide by 1024 to convert to MB
> 		    end
>          }

Would seem to be easier and quicker to do something like the following pseudo code

    ticks =  pool.hosts.total_memory / 1024
    0.upto(@ticks)
    { |x|
       scale.push(x.to_s)
       end
    }

Not saying its that its the correct or even the best solution, just that it
would seem to be faster... You are going through the loop 1024 times less and
only doing one divide ( in this case the divide probably gets turned into 10
right shifts) instead of pool.hosts.total_memory divides and comparisons.

> block eventually completes, after several minutes, before which the request times out.

Sounds like you need a faster computer....

> On my setup, @pool.hosts.total_memory is 522555392.
Is that in KB or bytes ?
The comment in the code indicated that it was dividing by 1024 to get MB.
Do you have 522 GB of memory in your pool?

-mark