[Ovirt-devel] WUI Development setup

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 00:51:50 UTC 2008

Continuing to document what everybody else already knows, here's how
I've set my development environment up so that I can run the WUI out of
my git checkout:

      * Setup developer appliance so that you can NFS mount your home
        dir, or generally the directory with a git checkout of oVirt,
        into it (e.g., following [1] and [2])
      * service ovirt-mongrel-rails stop
      * Edit /etc/httpd/conf.d/ovirt-wui.conf and point the various
        Alias statements in it to the corresponding places in
        wui/src/public in your git checkout
      * Restart httpd
      * Log into the oVirt appliance as yourself and cd to wui/src
        > mkdir log/
        > mongrel_rails start -d --prefix /ovirt
        > less -rf log/development.log

That's it - you can now edit files in the git checkout on your
laptop/workstation, and seeing the effects of an edit requires just a
reload of the page. Sometimes, though, you need to kill mongrel and
start over.

David

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/ovirt-devel/2008-July/msg00203.html
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/ovirt-devel/2008-July/msg00208.html