[Ovirt-devel] collectd and hostnames

mark wagner mwagner at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 00:35:40 UTC 2008

 From the collectd.conf documentation

Hostname Name

     Sets the hostname that identifies a host. If you omit this setting, the hostname will be
determinded using the gethostname(2) system call.

FQDNLookup true|false

     If Hostname is determined automatically this setting controls whether or not the daemon should
try to figure out the ``fully qualified domain name'', FQDN. This is done using a lookup of the name
returned by gethostname.

     Using this feature (i. e. setting this option to true) is recommended. However, to preserve
backwards compatibility the default is set to false. The sample config file that is installed with
makeinstall includes a line which sets this option, though, so that default installations will have
this setting enabled.

I'll try modifying a config in my setup to omit the hostname but set the FQDNLookup to true

-mark