[Ovirt-devel] Re: Thoughts about taskomatic redesign

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 12:27:38 UTC 2008

Ian Main wrote:
> - Task ordering system: At some point I think a single process needs to separate out the tasks and order them.  I think it would be useful to actually move them into separate independent queues that can be executed in parallel.  This would be done such that each action in a given queue would need to be done in order, but each queue will not have dependencies on anything in another queue and so they can be worked on in parallel.  While this could be a bottleneck I think that the logic required to order the tasks will not be onerous and should keep up with high loads.

In thinking about this, something came to mind: there should also be two
classes of tasks. One class relates to changing the managed node's
state. The other relates to changing a running VM's state. And there
would be dependencies between them. So a task such as "shut down managed
node" would have implicit tasks of "shut down running VMs"

Probably already assumed by most, but wanted to get it out into the open
for the discussion.

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/