[Ovirt-devel] ovirt questions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 17:08:40 UTC 2008

Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> Hello Thomas, thanks for your interest in oVirt.
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 06:13:27PM +0200, Thomas von Steiger wrote:
>
>> I have installed ovirt ontop fedora 9 and macos with vmware to learn and
>> sea the philosophy
>> and i think this project is on the right way to push and manage
>> baremetal to virtual servers in the datacenter with opensoure in the
>> future.
>> I found one great point for this project is using of ruby and RoR with a
>> breeze of python and bash. I like this!
>>

> Glad you approve, it has been a winning combination for us so far.
>

>> From my first positive experience and thinking about this project i have
>> some feedback/questions:
>>
>> - Are groups for usermanagment not practical ?
>>

> Since our users are maintained in LDAP we will probably add a way to
> assign roles to groups at some point in the future. Up to this point
> it hasn't been a priority however.
>

>> - Whats about the idea to map spacewalk or satellite channels/
>> activationkeys into ovirt to the managed nodes and virtual servers for
>> the patchmanagment?
>>

> Well, we are working on integrating with Cobbler for provisioning via
> netboot and also (in the future) from ISOs. Cobbler is going to be
> doing some things with Spacewalk as well so we may get some Spacewalk
> integration for free. Having said that we are trying to avoid writing
> our own entitlement management; the idea with oVirt is to manage hosts
> and VMs and let something else manage entitlements and updates to
> existing VMs.

Yes.

If your kickstarts call rhnreg_ks in post, that's how you'll register
with Spacewalk if you want to do that. If you want to manage your
systems with straight yum (or Cobbler managed yum mirrors), that's also
fine.

So Cobbler and ovirt don't have to know about Spacealk to use it, as
long as there is an easy way to tweak
your kickstarts in ovirt. I assume we're going to have the Cobbler
kickstarts stored on the filesystem that will be easy to hack.

Ideally (as we are also planning to do it this way with Spacewalk),
you'll be able to run "cobbler profile edit" commands to customize
things behind the scenes any time you want, as long as you live the
basic core stuff intact.

Ovirt will probably have some specific kickstart %post sections and
packages that need to be installed, for instance, as will Spacewalk (the
call to rhnreg_ks). I don't see why they couldn't be mixed.

--Michael