[Ovirt-devel] ovirt-host-creator/README+INSTALL from sources are *not* preferred

Jim Meyering meyering at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 14:12:37 UTC 2008

I wasted some time following outdated instructions because until Friday,
the web-based docs said to prefer README+INSTALL in the sources:

    However as of this writing
    (February 13, 2008) <strong>oVirt</strong> is a rapidly moving
    target. Therefore, please consult the README and INSTALL documents
    included with the source code when you install each piece; this
    document will inevitably lag them.

In fact, it is the contrary: the web-based docs are newer.
The web docs are now updated (thanks, Chris!), but for those who assume
sources are more up-to-date, I've just changed README and INSTALL, both
in ovirt.git's ovirt-host-creator/, to include this warning:

  [ CAUTION: The instructions in http://ovirt.org/install-instructions.html
    are usually more up-to-date than the instructions here. ]

Eventually, I'm sure we'll generate common bits from a single source.