[Ovirt-devel] Ovirt Host Tasks

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 19:22:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 03:13:20PM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:

> >My only thought here is.. how do we implement all these options with a
> >single boot image?  Somehow we'd have to identify up front if
> >persistent storage is available and then allow other options to become
> >available for configuration (static ip etc).  I also think applications
> >should be given access to persistent storage if available.
>
> applications?  There are no applications :)  This is just the embedded
> hypervisor.  There will be services for Ovirt, but these will be written
> to not need persistent storage, and we can assume a connected environment

I agree - we're not supporting people installing 3rd party applications
into the oVirt host image. It is a black box providing the minimal support
layer to enable virtualizing guest OS for specific pre-defined use cases.

Clustering is a good example - we're not supporting clustering as something
you drop in as an add-on app to the base OS. Clustering is integrated into
the core oVirt host image out of the box. You loose some flexibility you'd
otherwise get if you deployed clustering as an addon, but that's fine becaue
we targetting a specific use case only - fencing of physical hosts only to
enable oVirt to safely do failover of VMs to an alternate host.

In the unlikely case that someone does want extra functionaly, then that
can be built into the master image by changing the kickstart & rebuilding
it.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|