[Ovirt-devel] Re: oVirt console (again!)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Nov 8 13:14:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:06:14PM -0600, Wes Felter wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Previous discussion:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/ovirt-devel/2008-August/msg00004.html
>>
>> Back to the oVirt console issue.
>
> Have y'all considered a Flash VNC client? I sent this suggestion to the
> list months ago, but looking at the archives it looks like it didn't go
> through (probably because I'm not a subscriber).

The basic problem is that I don't have much experience building Flash
programs.  There are Flash VNC clients out there, but we'd have to
modify them anyway to support Kerberos (or some form of encryption)
plus any other VNC extensions that Gtk-VNC supports.  Who knows if
it's possible to support Kerberos / SASL / encryption / extensions
from a Flash program?

I'm reasonably confident that we can build a standalone Windows
client, because we've in fact already done that (virt-viewer[1][2]).
Extending the protocol is well-understood: it involves writing more C
code and possibly porting more C libraries, both things that we now
have plenty of experience with doing[3].

Rich.

[1] http://camltastic.blogspot.com/2008/10/mingw-compile-software-for-windows.html
[2] http://hg.et.redhat.com/applications/virt/applications/virt-tools-win32--devel
[3] http://hg.et.redhat.com/misc/fedora-mingw--devel