[Ovirt-devel] Re: issue w/ fake nodes on Fedora 10

Alan Pevec apevec at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 11:07:18 UTC 2008

Perry Myers wrote:
> Darryl,
>
> ovirt-identify-node sends the hardware UUID to the ovirt-server as part
> of the startup process.  On F10 it looks like the fake nodes that run in
> kvm have an empty UUID that causes the server to fail because it's
> expecting a parameter there.
>
>> [root at node3 ~]# lshal | grep uuid
>>   system.hardware.uuid = ''  (string)
>
> Do we rely on UUID for anything or is it just purely an informational
> parameter?  If we don't rely on it for anything we should accept a blank
> string as valid input.  If we are relying on it, we should reconsider
> perhaps.

It must be optional, it's not guaranteed to be present even on real HW machines, so ovirt-host-brower should be fixed.

That said, as JimM found out, libvirt's check for --uuid parameter seems wrong: qemu-kvm has it but check is performed against plain qemu binary - that needs to be BZed against libvirt.