[Ovirt-devel] Can ovirt talk with Redhat5

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 15:47:38 UTC 2008

xxqonline at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello guys:
>      I have used the PXE to connect admin and managed host together.
>    Seems it create a ovirt node on the managed host.
>
>    Now I want to know is it possible to manage the redhat physical machine.
>    The red hat is pre-installed on the managed host.
>
>    I ask this question, because I saw your architecture picture, that
> ovirt use libvirt to talk with managed host.
>
>    Thanks for any feedback.

There are two issues here:

1. We need a way to install the ovirt-node software onto an existing
    physical host and get the bootstrapping/configuration process working
    properly.
2. We need to be able to support hypervisors other than KVM like Xen.

#1 has already had some work done on it by Chris Lalancette with his
patches for 'managing VMs on the appliance host'.  But these patches have
some things in them that are specific to that environment.  They would
need to be generalized to allow management of Fedora KVM hosts.

#2 needs some patches to remove KVM specific stuff from Taskomatic and
just end to end testing on Xen hosts.

Neither #1 or #2 are very difficult and they are both on our roadmap.
They're just not the top priority items at the current time.

We would gladly accept patches for these things though, so if you have the
means submit some patches to the list :)

Perry