[Ovirt-devel] How to handle 3rd party code?

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Thu Oct 23 16:44:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:24:44PM -0400, Darryl Pierce wrote:
[..snip..]
> > We _could_ package them as separate RPMs but the dependencies would be
> > messy -- since they must live under the app root they would depend on
> > ovirt-server, but since ovirt-server needs them, then the dependency
> > needs to go the other way.
> >
> > So what we have here is a collection of code from different sources that
> > actually forms part of our app. On top of that we have some
> > ovirt-specific customizations to the javascript libraries which does
> > need to live in our repo.
>
> So, in that case, isn't the solution still a separate RPM but one that's
> specific to our product? IOW, if there's a javascript package called
> "foo", then we would potentially have a foo.rpm and a foo-ovirt.rpm that
> would apply any patches we have to customize it to our need?
If these are generic java script libraries, packaging them and putting
them in e.g. /usr/share/<jslib> and simply symlinking this directory
into oVirt could also be a solution. The benefit is that other packages
can use the libs too.

> I guess what I'm getting at is more about keeping third party code out
> of our repo as much as possible. Unless we're freezing on a specific
> snapshot of their code, we should avoid having to version their code. We
> had done that in a previous project and it was just a bear to deal with.
Having the code outside of the oVirt repo would also considerably help
packaging oVirt for Debian (which we started recently).
Cheers,
 -- Guido