[Ovirt-devel] How to handle 3rd party code?

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 21:20:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 16:13 -0400, Scott Seago wrote:
> David Lutterkort wrote:
> >
> > As long as we follow a process of 'use pristine upstream + temporary
> > patches', it should be fairly easy to script the import/update of newer
> > upstream versions. I would put those things into a separate
> > 'ovirt-js-modules' or similar and keep them out of the main ovirt-server
> > git, with the assumption that developers will install/update that RPM
> > separately.
> >

> So if, for example we need to modify the css for a javascript library
> component you're suggesting we should only keep the patch in our repo
> instead of the modified file? Most of our local changes are
> ovirt-specific styling tweaks that wouldn't be appropriate for upstream
> inclusion.

Yeah, CSS is icky in this context, and it doesn't have the same problems
as keeping actual code pristine; not sure what the best way for handling
that is, but there's nothing wrong with replacing style files whole hog.
I was more concerned with bug fixes/enhancements to actual code that
would need to be tracked and forward ported if we're not careful.

> Of course if these modules RPMs depend on the main
> ovirt-server RPM then we'd have to remember to install them separately.

I think this makes only sense if the deps are the other way, i.e. if
ovirt-server requires those extra libraries, and if things can be setup
so that a developer can install the RPM's for those extra libs and then
easily run a dev server out of the source checkout.

> > To avoid problems with the directories into which those files go, we
> > should see if either Rails or Mongrel lets use reconfigure the location
> > of JS libs - Rails plugins should be less problematic, since we can
> > always futz with LOAD_PATH.
> >

> Off the top of my head I"m not sure if LOAD_PATH changes are sufficient
> to find plugins but there's probably something we can do in the config
> here. For the javascript stuff though it either needs to be in the
> standard location or symlinked there since  the rails expectation is
> that all CSS/javascript files are located in the same dir -- and we've
> got ovirt-specific files that we control that need to be in those dirs too.

Yeah, you'd probably need to put more of what's currently in
server/src/public/javascripts into subdirs so that you can symlink a
whole directory in.

David