[Ovirt-devel] RFC w/o PATCH: Renaming oVirt RPMs

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 10:37:16 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:19:58AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> Don't have a build all. A developer working on the WUI has no need to build
>>> the managed node, and vica-verca. They can use pre-built RPMs of the bits
>>> they are not working on. Autobuild is specifically designed to be able to
>>> do end-to-end builds of a set of dependant packages, and report on them
>>> individually.
>> Ok, right now everyone that works on oVirt uses build-all extensively...
>> and most of those folks don't have access to an autobuild server to
>> automate the process for them.  So we need some replacement for build-all
>> for people in the community who want to build from scratch instead of
>> using prebuilt appliance.
>>
>> So just saying 'don't have build-all, use autobuild instead' is not really
>> a valid option unless we replace it with something equally easy to use...
>
> Well the whole idea is to have stable, reliable interfaces between the
> modules. So if you want to work on / build the latest WUI code you can
> download the latest pre-built managed node binary from the ovirt.org
> website, and not have to worry about building something you're not
> interested in changing. In the scenario where you really do want to build
> all 4 pieces from scratch, its really not that hard to type 'build' in
> each of the 4 directories. If it was too troublesome, you could even
> create a shell script 'build-all' to run
>
>  for i in node server appliance ; do (cd $i && build ) ; done
>
> It would be trivial to make the auto-build output available too - we could
> simply add a post-build stage to it which publishes nightly RPMs onto the
> public oVirt website FTP area, so latest binaries are always available
> for working against,
>
> As a comparison - consider someone working on Fedora - they don't want
> a build-all script for everything in Fedora - they only care about building
> the package they're playing with. Or someone working on virt-manager - they
> don't neeed a 'build-all' script which builds Xen, libvirt, and virt-amanger
> all in one go - they simply use a pre-built Xen & libvirt binary, and only
> focus on the bits they care about.

That model works fine for:
1. Someone only working on the Server and can just use last available
version of Node
2. Someone only working on the Node and can just use last available
version of Server

What about:
Someone working on integration between Server and Node and needs to build
both?

build-all cannot be trivialized into a for loop that does build on all for
separate git checkouts.  It's more involved than that.  We use a common
tmp directory for yum cache to build the node and appliance.  And RPMs
generated from ovirt-node and ovirt-server would need to get placed into
that cache for build of ovirt-node-image and ovirt-appliance.

build-all.sh could be used as we use it now even with 4 separate repos
underneath it, but the question becomes 'what repo does build-all.sh live
in?' given that it is fairly complex.  Hmm.  Perhaps we need an 'ovirt'
repo that contains build-all.sh and things like ovirt-release RPM build.

Perry