[Ovirt-devel] Re: NIC bonding and failover...

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 18:43:24 UTC 2008

Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:46:13PM +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
>> Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>>> I'm in the not-an-expert camp as well. But, whe nyou say "expose which
>>> method" what do you mean there? From my understanding, the way you would
>>> configure bonding is to load the bonding module and specify which mode to use
>>> there via "modprobe bonding mode=[#] miimon=[interval]". Is there some
> .. snip ..
>> modprobe bond mode=# arp_ping=ip arp_interval=xxx
>
> You still need the steps to enslave a NIC to the bond, setting which type it is, etc.

Right, this will all be done at boot time, based on what the admin configures.

> What about a situation in which you want two types of bonds (ie, bond0 is fault tolerant,
> while bond1 is the load balance one - you can't just say 'modprobe bond1 mode=3).

There is some way to do that in modern Linux systems....this is the part where
I'm not an expert :).

> And then comes the monitoring part - are you going to send events if a slave goes
> down?

Yeah, that's definitely something we would want to know about.  Maybe we can
have some collectd plugin that does this for us; I'm not certain at the moment.

> I would be curious to know what you guys think is the right way to solve these problems?

Don't get me wrong; there are a lot of issues around bonding.  But I guess we'll
start small and build from there :).

Chris Lalancette