[Ovirt-devel] RFC w/o PATCH: Renaming oVirt RPMs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 09:51:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:37:21AM +0200, Alan Pevec wrote:
> I propose to rename oVirt package names as follows:
>
> ovirt-host-image -> ovirt-node-image
> ovirt-managed-node -> ovirt-node
> ovirt-wui -> ovirt-server (to be split later into one subpkg per daemon)
>
> and directory renames:
>
> ovirt-managed-node -> node/
> ovirt-host-creator -> node/image
> wui -> server
> wui-appliance -> server/appliance
>
> Does anyone have an issue with the proposal?
> It's already too late for such restructuring, but we do it now or never...

IMHO, rather than just rename the directories in GIT you should create
separate repos for each of those 4 top level directories. There's no
good reason to keep those pieces in the same repo. They're worked on
by different people and we should enforce strong separation in the code
repo, to ensure a stable versioned interfaces to be developed for any
interaction between independant pieces. Otherwise things just get sloppy
and you get into a mess like Xen, where every single piece of the entire
infrastructure has to come from an exact matching release otherwise the
ABIs are incompatible.

Daniel