[Ovirt-devel] RFC w/o PATCH: Renaming oVirt RPMs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 10:15:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:08:15AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:37:21AM +0200, Alan Pevec wrote:
> >>I propose to rename oVirt package names as follows:
> >>
> >>ovirt-host-image -> ovirt-node-image
> >>ovirt-managed-node -> ovirt-node
> >>ovirt-wui -> ovirt-server (to be split later into one subpkg per daemon)
> >>
> >>and directory renames:
> >>
> >>ovirt-managed-node -> node/
> >>ovirt-host-creator -> node/image
> >>wui -> server
> >>wui-appliance -> server/appliance
> >>
> >>Does anyone have an issue with the proposal?
> >>It's already too late for such restructuring, but we do it now or never...
> >
> >IMHO, rather than just rename the directories in GIT you should create
> >separate repos for each of those 4 top level directories. There's no
> >good reason to keep those pieces in the same repo. They're worked on
> >by different people and we should enforce strong separation in the code
> >repo, to ensure a stable versioned interfaces to be developed for any
> >interaction between independant pieces. Otherwise things just get sloppy
> >and you get into a mess like Xen, where every single piece of the entire
> >infrastructure has to come from an exact matching release otherwise the
> >ABIs are incompatible.
>
> Dan,
>
> I'm not opposed to having separate repos for:
>
> ovirt-node
> ovirt-server-suite
> ovirt-node-image
> ovirt-appliance
>
> Though it does change our build environment drastically since the notion
> of 'build-all' completely breaks.  Any suggestions for how we should
> incorporate build-all into this new layout?

Don't have a build all. A developer working on the WUI has no need to build
the managed node, and vica-verca. They can use pre-built RPMs of the bits
they are not working on. Autobuild is specifically designed to be able to
do end-to-end builds of a set of dependant packages, and report on them
individually.

Daniel