[Ovirt-devel] RFC w/o PATCH: Renaming oVirt RPMs

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 10:19:58 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:08:15AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> IMHO, rather than just rename the directories in GIT you should create
>>> separate repos for each of those 4 top level directories. There's no
>>> good reason to keep those pieces in the same repo. They're worked on
>>> by different people and we should enforce strong separation in the code
>>> repo, to ensure a stable versioned interfaces to be developed for any
>>> interaction between independant pieces. Otherwise things just get sloppy
>>> and you get into a mess like Xen, where every single piece of the entire
>>> infrastructure has to come from an exact matching release otherwise the
>>> ABIs are incompatible.
>> Dan,
>>
>> I'm not opposed to having separate repos for:
>>
>> ovirt-node
>> ovirt-server-suite
>> ovirt-node-image
>> ovirt-appliance
>>
>> Though it does change our build environment drastically since the notion
>> of 'build-all' completely breaks.  Any suggestions for how we should
>> incorporate build-all into this new layout?
>
> Don't have a build all. A developer working on the WUI has no need to build
> the managed node, and vica-verca. They can use pre-built RPMs of the bits
> they are not working on. Autobuild is specifically designed to be able to
> do end-to-end builds of a set of dependant packages, and report on them
> individually.

Ok, right now everyone that works on oVirt uses build-all extensively...
and most of those folks don't have access to an autobuild server to
automate the process for them.  So we need some replacement for build-all
for people in the community who want to build from scratch instead of
using prebuilt appliance.

So just saying 'don't have build-all, use autobuild instead' is not really
a valid option unless we replace it with something equally easy to use...

Perry