[Ovirt-devel] NIC bonding and failover...

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 16:32:58 UTC 2008

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> GOAL:
>
> To allow the user to create a bonding to enslave two or more network
> interfaces together. Bonded interfaces can then be used for load balancing
> and fail-over.
>
> DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS:
>
> The two primary modes of operation are round-robin and failover. With
> round-robin you get a general load-balancing scheme between the enslaved
> interfaces. With failover, the primary interface is used until it fails, then
> the backup(s) are used.

I think for now, if we concentrate on these two, that will cover the majority of
cases, and we can add the more complex cases later.  However, you have to be
aware that there are multiple ways to set these up.  I'm definitely not a
bonding expert, but I do know that some types of setups (blades, for instance),
cannot do the most efficient "ethtool" checking of path failover; they must use
some kind of arp_interval ping to determine if the other path is still up.  So
you need to expose not only "Round-robin" and "failover", but you also need to
expose which method the admin wants to use.

Chris Lalancette