[Ovirt-devel] NIC Bonding and Failover

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 15:22:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 05:15:52PM +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:30:25AM -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:>
> Yes, this question is very appropriate too.  Again, I'm not saying we have to
> support this right now, but we need to be conscious of it.  There are 3 pieces
> at work here (bridges, VLAN's, and bonds), which means there are 9 ways you
> could do things: VLAN's on top of bonds on top of bridges, bridges on top of
> bonds on top of VLAN's, etc.  We have to figure out which combinations are
> completely insane, which are valid and make sense, and then make sure we can
> handle those.  Yes, this is complicated :(.

bonding has to be done at the physical level, so that cuts out one variable.
Conceptually briding is just a way to 'share' an interface with the guests,
so that only makes sense at the top level. Which leaves VLANs in the middle.
So you get a hierarchy like:

  n * Physical nic -> bond device -> n * vlan -> bridge

Daniel