[Ovirt-devel] Modeling LVM storage

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 16:53:59 UTC 2008

Hugh O. Brock wrote:

> This looks good to me. One of the outstanding questions I have is what
> (if anything) to do about deleting storage volumes when a user deletes
> a VM, but that question goes beyond LVM specifically so I'm willing to
> table it for now.
>
> Take care,
> --Hugh

Right -- this is definitely unrelated to lvm. Right now, of course,
nobody can add or delete storage volumes through the UI. We'll soon be
adding the ability for HW admins and end users to add new NFS and LVM
storage volumes, although presumably end users could only add volumes 1)
to attach to a specific VM "right now"; and 2) up to their available
quota for the VM pool that the VM belongs to. HW admins (on the storage
tab) could more freely add storage volumes. Right now our model makes no
provisions for showing storage volume ownership other than what VM it's
attached to and what storage pool it belongs to, so presumably if a user
creates a storage volume to attach to a new VM, when that VM drops the
storage volume (or the VM is deleted), that storage volume will be just
like any other unattached storage volume in the same storage pool. So
the only ones that can delete storage volumes will be HW admins -- who
can delete any unattached NFS or LVM volumes in HW pools they have
permissions on.

Scott