[Ovirt-devel] ovirt-docs repository

Christopher Curran ccurran at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 04:35:58 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:21:16AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
>
>> Chris and Susan:
>>
>> Dan B. has suggested that it might make more sense for each document you
>> generate to have it's own separate git repository with the same structure.
>>  So, instead of ovirt-docs, we'd currently have:
>>
>> ovirt-doc-using-the-ovirt-admin-ui
>> ovirt-doc-ovirt-installation-guide
>>

> Or a little less verbose names...
>
>    ovirt-doc-admin-ui-guide
>    ovirt-doc-install-guide

Each document is probably a bad idea. However I do see some value in
splitting similar documents along product lines. That means a git
repository for all docs for a particular product (the appliance, the
node, AOS/ADK). We intend to release documentation releases with each
product version and release revisions for bug fixes and minor content
updates. Forking docs with each product release is a Good Thing. As
products are being released at different times it would be prudent to
for docs at those times.

As for actual repository names those should be derivatives of the
products they document. The present list:
ovirt-appliance-docs
ovirt-node-docs

We can add an aos-docs repository once we start writing said documents.

All documentation for each product should be stored in their respective
repositories.

As for file and folder names we generally go for longer names.
Readability and understanding are important to us :)

Chris