[Ovirt-devel] Ovirt QMF API Proposal

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 20:44:48 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, March 31 2009, Ian Main said:
> Through much discussion it was decided that we would leverage the rails
> models created for use in the WUI, and create an alternative way to
> access these models, start tasks etc.  This will be integrated with the
> current task management system (taskomatic) to produce a complete package.
>
> The idea is to create a set of classes available via QMF as objects.
> These classes would then be backed by either a mid-level API that
> encompasses the models, or by active record models directly.  Any changes
> made to these records outside of the API (eg by the WUI) would require
> notification of changes to taskomatic.

So, by integrating deeply like this, how much is going to be tied to underlying
implementation details that (may|might|will) change in the future?  From
looking through it, it seems very tightly tied which given the many
unanswered questions, is at least of some concern imho.

Also, who is the expected target user of this API?  Someone who is
deploying guests within the cloud or someone who is managing the overall
cloud?  As there's probably a different level of care for what are the
important things to expose accordingly.  It looks more like the latter
but with a mix of some of the former, but at a far more detailed level
than a cloud user would need/want

Jeremy