[Ovirt-devel] RFC - Design of new MPATH device menu in o-c-storage

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 14:26:36 UTC 2009

Mike Burns wrote:
> I am designing a new menu to allow a user to select an mpath device for installation without having to drop down to the shell to do setup.  A patch to ovirt-node-image has already been posted to enable multipathd by default.  The new menu will appear as an option under the normal o-c-storage menu.  Not that a few of the open design questions are marked in ??
>
> comments are appreciated
>
> Work flow for mpath setup
>
> o-c-setup menu (choose 1 for storage)
>
> Add new option to o-c-storage menu - "Multipath device" that will spawn the new submenu
>
> Multipath Device Submenu
> Display:
>
> List of all Block devices for user to selectively choose
> ? Should options be toggles, i.e. choose once to enable, choose again to disable ?
> ? do we need some way to show whether device is chosen or not (Yes if ^^, no otherwise ?
>
> Stay on this menu until either "All" or "Finished" is chosen
>
> Other Options
> Finished - proceed from this menu - fall back to Multipath device menu if no devices chosen
> Abort - go back to previous menu
> blank - same menu redisplayed
> All - Add all devices
>

> **Background action**
> Based on input, blacklist all but the devices chosen in multipath.conf
> restart multipathd service
>

> **New Menu**
> Display:
>
> List of mpath devices with similar format to o-c-storage main menu
>
> Other options
> Abort option to cancel multipath config and return to main menu
>     ?? should abort cleanup multipath.conf setup ?
> blank input - redisplay menu
>
> Choose mpath device -> go to standard partition questions

Sounds pretty good, is there maybe a way to build the luns into some
kind of display for the user to see like how multipath -ll does without
configuring itself, othewise the user will definitely need to know what
each of the luns are.

Rather than (like o-c-storage)
/dev/sda $SIZE $DESCRIPTION
/dev/sdb $SIZE $DESCRIPTION