[Ovirt-devel] Ganeti from Google (was Re : I'm all for it)

Guillaume FORTAINE gfortaine at live.com
Tue Dec 29 07:31:01 UTC 2009

Misters,

> When is oVirt going to reach a stability that makes it possible to
> consider it for deployment? Right now it seems to be too much in flux
> to roll it out in any serious way. What is the roadmap for the project?

I would greatly appreciate to have your comments about this open source
project used by Google in a production environment, if possible, please :

http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/

What is Ganeti

Ganeti is a cluster virtual server management software tool built on top
of existing virtualization technologies such as Xen or KVM and other
Open Source software.

Ganeti requires pre-installed virtualization software on your servers in
order to function. Once installed, the tool will take over the
management part of the virtual instances (Xen DomU), e.g. disk creation
management, operating system installation for these instances (in
co-operation with OS-specific install scripts), and startup, shutdown,
failover between physical systems. It has been designed to facilitate
cluster management of virtual servers and to provide fast and simple
recovery after physical failures using commodity hardware.

Features

Ganeti provides the following features for managed instances:

-Support for Xen virtualization:
Support for PVM and HVM instances
Live migration support
Virtual console (on PVM) or VNC (on HVM) to control instances
Support for virtio or emulated devices

-Support for KVM virtualization: (from Ganeti 2.0)
Live migration support
Support for fully virtualized instances
Support for semi-virtualized instances (kernel residing on the host)
Support for VNC or serial access
Support for virtio or emulated devices

-Recommended cluster size 1-40 physical nodes

-Disk management:
Plain LVM volumes
Files (from Ganeti 2.0)
across-the-network raid1 (using DRBD) for quick recovery in case of
physical system failure
-Instance disk partitioning supported from Ganeti 2.0
-Export/import mechanism for backup purposes or migration between clusters