[Ovirt-devel] The oVirt networking UI

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 02:30:23 UTC 2009

David Lutterkort wrote:
> I am trying to understand what I can and can not do with the ovirt
> networking UI ('Edit network' for an individual node).
>
> For starters, it's insanely confusing. On a machine where 'ifconfig -a |
> grep HWaddr' gives the following list
>
>         br0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:1B:43:95:30
>         eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:1B:43:95:30
>         ovirtbr0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 96:B5:EB:E8:CB:60
>         pan0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr AE:A7:D3:C1:EC:A4
>         virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 6A:4C:CD:A6:1D:D3
>         vnet0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 96:B5:EB:E8:CB:60
>         vnet1     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 3A:3D:CF:1D:54:83

Is this on the appliance, the host running the appliance or a Node?

The Node no longer has bridges named like ovirtbr.  All bridges are now
br$dev (i.e. breth0, breth1...)

ovirtbr0 is only used to create the bridge used by the appliance, and as
has been said a few times the appliance is really only for demos at this
point.  bare metal installs of ovirt-server will not have an ovirtbr0
interface.

Doing ifconfig -a on the appliance host is not really valid.  Do it on the
Node.  That will give you a saner and shorter list.

The rest I'll let other folks handle...

Perry