[Ovirt-devel] The oVirt networking UI

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 13:58:57 UTC 2009

David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 21:30 -0500, Perry Myers wrote:
>> David Lutterkort wrote:
>>> I am trying to understand what I can and can not do with the ovirt
>>> networking UI ('Edit network' for an individual node).
>>>
>>> For starters, it's insanely confusing. On a machine where 'ifconfig -a |
>>> grep HWaddr' gives the following list
>>>
>>>         br0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:1B:43:95:30
>>>         eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:1B:43:95:30
>>>         ovirtbr0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 96:B5:EB:E8:CB:60
>>>         pan0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr AE:A7:D3:C1:EC:A4
>>>         virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 6A:4C:CD:A6:1D:D3
>>>         vnet0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 96:B5:EB:E8:CB:60
>>>         vnet1     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 3A:3D:CF:1D:54:83
>> Is this on the appliance, the host running the appliance or a Node?
>
> This is on the host running the appliance, which I am also (trying) to
> use as a node.

Ok, I wouldn't worry about this particular case.  Running guests on the
host that runs the appliance is a complete hack only usable for demos.
Never meant to be used in production.

So I'd focus on running ifconfig -a on real Nodes

>> The Node no longer has bridges named like ovirtbr.  All bridges are now
>> br$dev (i.e. breth0, breth1...)
>>
>> ovirtbr0 is only used to create the bridge used by the appliance, and as
>> has been said a few times the appliance is really only for demos at this
>> point.  bare metal installs of ovirt-server will not have an ovirtbr0
>> interface.
>>
>> Doing ifconfig -a on the appliance host is not really valid.  Do it on the
>> Node.  That will give you a saner and shorter list.
>
> The length of the list is besides the point. The really serious issues
> with the list of NIC's for a node are (a) that only MAC's are shown, so
> that I can't distinguish between a bridge and a physical NIC enslaved to
> a bridge (b) the list has duplicates (c) the list has spurious entries
> with no relation to any interface on the host.

No disagreements with this list.  All I'm saying is that there are things
like ovirtbr0, virbr0 and pan0 that are garbage in your list that won't
appear on real Nodes.  The other ifaces like vnet0 should be filtered out
on real Nodes but are presently not.

--
|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers at redhat.com                      -=|