[Ovirt-devel] QCOW2 image support?

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Wed Feb 25 12:46:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm aware that oVirt uses Cobbler to setup and configure new images but is it also possible to create and configure a VM image and then use it as a "golden" image to create multiple copies? I'm thinking along the lines of using QCOW2's ability to create new COW images (qemu-img create -b) but referencing the common read-only "golden" image. If this is not currently possible are there any plans for this kind of functionality? Using Cobbler and kickstart is nice and all but sometimes you just want to configure a VM image on your desktop machine (say) by hand and then be able to clone it many times instead of writing and maintaining kickstart scripts. Obviously Windows installations particularly benefit from this approach.

Also on an unrelated note is oVirt going to be part of the "Enterprise Virtualization Manager for Servers" mentioned in Redhat's recent press release?

  http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2009/agenda.html

If not where does oVirt fit into the big picture?

Daire