[Ovirt-devel] Re: oVirt server wui console integration

Jeremy Perry jeremy.perry at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 15:55:43 UTC 2009

I've posted the mockups and descriptions mentioned here to the the
ovirt.org wiki:
http://ovirt.org/page/Terminal_UX

one more comment below...

On Jan 8, 2009, at 10:04 PM, Jason Guiditta wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:23 -0500, Jeremy Perry wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>>
>>> Currently the idea for the console interface in the wui is that a
>>> user
>>> can navigate the the 'virtual machines' tab under a vm pool, click
>>> on a
>>> specific vm, click on 'console' in the details pane and will be
>>> presented with a console to that vm. There were a few ideas as to
>>> where
>>> the console should appear,
>>>
>>> * in a minimally themed popup window, most likely the first
>>> implementation as it is simplest, but may result in many popups when
>>> connected to several vms
>>> * in the dialog / popup box interface we have now, we will want to
>>> introduce a tabbing mechanism for access to multiple vm consoles
>>> * in another tab in the main content area, same vm-tab concept
>>> needed here
>>> * a rollover, eg the user rolls over 'console' in the vm details
>>> pane
>>> and the console appears so long as the user holds his mouse over
>>> it /
>>> the link
>>>
>> I've taken the liberty of mocking some of these ideas up.
>>
>> I didnt mockup the new themed popup window yet, since its simple to
>> imagine. I think its a decent approach, but wondering if we can
>> eliminate the multiple popups issue by targeting our popup once there
>> is at least one open. Subsequent terminals would nest via tabs in the
>> one terminal window, so all you deal with is one window with tabs for
>> each vm terminal.
>
> I like the idea of the popup window, then adding tabs to it as needed,
> and like the pop-out (thanks google!).  My first choice is the design
> with the initial console on the right of the details in the same pane.
> The other with them stacked felt too squished.  The tabbed one could
> work too, but I kind of think the terminal being in the detail pane is
> not super usable, since you can't see that much in the space
> allowed.  I
> agree on the modal dialog thing, no need to force them to have only
> that
> accessible, but another idea could be a non-modal dialog that you
> could
> minimize somewhere w/in the application.  If done right, I think this
> could be pretty slick, but perhaps not worth the effort, as the single
> popup window seems like a perfectly good way to go.

I agree on the popup window, and will take a stab at it. As for the
non-modal idea, this would be pretty cool to look at. Well executed
examples in the wild is Google chat in gmail and the alerts/etc bar in
facebook.