[Ovirt-devel] How to update ovirt based current version?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 15:23:02 UTC 2009

Perry Myers wrote:
> nikkea wrote:
>> --Just as title.
>
> Right now we don't support upgrades from released versions since the API
> and database formats are still actively being updated.  Starting with
> 1.0 we'll support upgrades between minor version release.
>
> But for the time being we recommend that users start fresh with each
> release.  0.96 is the latest release right now.

Just want to point out that upgrades of the ovirt-server RPM should be
possible as long as a rake db-migrate is done after an upgrade of the RPM.

So one (not supported) upgrade path could be to take an existing appliance
  and update all of the oVirt RPMs on it.  After the RPM update then run
the rake db-migrate.

It would actually be a good thing if users started doing this as it would
get us on the path to being able to support true upgrades in the 1.0
timeframe and it would also keep the developers honest since major
database breakage would become apparent more readily.

I know David Lutterkort (dlutter at redhat.com) has expressed an interest in
getting db upgrades working, so reach out to him on this he may be able to
help.

Perry