[Ovirt-devel] Availability for Ubuntu / LVM

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Sat Mar 28 22:37:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:38:27PM +0100, Florian Golemo wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm very interested in your oVirt-Software and I want to try it on my Ubuntu-
> Server 8.10 (configured as KVM-Host-Node). It's Storage is based on encrypted
> LVMs on which the VMs are mounted.
> Is there any possibility to get oVirt to run under that environment now or in
> the near future?

Hello!

The oVirt installer is pretty fedora-specific, so I'd recommend
installing oVirt-server in a Fedora 10 VM. There's nothing about oVirt
itself that wouldn't work on Ubuntu but it will take a lot of work to
get it configured right.

As far as the managed nodes go, oVirt server will only work with the
oVirt managed node, which a stripped-down fedora 10 image that
pxe-boots from the oVirt server. I don't know any reason why you
couldn't have VMs running on the oVirt node use encrypted LVMs for
storage, however.

If you need help getting things working feel free to contact us on
irc.freenode.net/#ovirt.

Take care,
--Hugh