[Ovirt-devel] Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Wed May 13 19:42:58 UTC 2009

Gilberto Mautner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to follow the appliance installation guide at
> http://ovirt.org/build-instructions.html
>
> I was successful until installing the appliance, it's running OK.
>
> Now I'm not being able to make the physical host funcion as a managed
> node.
>
> I ran the ovirt-install-node-stateful script and, after restarting
> libvirtd, libvird-qpidd etc. I repeatedly get the same message in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> May 13 16:19:54 physical libvirt-qpid: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS
> failure.  Minor code may provide more information (Cannot contact any
> KDC for requested realm)
>
> It is true that, as the physical server was configured *before*
> installing the appliance and everything else, the original domain name
> configuration was different. Anyway, the ovirt-install-node-stateful
> updated the necessary DNS configuration, but it seems that some
> Kerberos-related stuff was left behind.
>
> As I'm not a Kerberos expert :-), any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gilberto

Gilberto,

What are you using for your dns on the managed node?

You will need the following SRV records present to direct the node to
the right servers:

If using dnsmasq the config looks similiar to:

srv-host=_ovirt._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,80
srv-host=_ipa._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,80
srv-host=_ldap._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,389
srv-host=_collectd._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,25826
srv-host=_qpidd._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,5672
srv-host=_identify._tcp,management.ovirt.priv,12120

The _ipa._tcp entry will point your node to the location for the
krb5.conf and necessary keytabs. A quick test on the node will let you
know if it works correctly:  dig +short -t srv _ipa._tcp.ovirt.priv
replace with your domain.

Joey