[Ovirt-devel] Installing vm in ovirt

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri May 22 14:26:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 04:21:56PM +0200, Mike maarse wrote:
> I will try to explain problem as good as possible.
> I just finished building my ovirt server from the git repo.
> Added a vm in cobbler.
> But when i install a vm it will install on breth0 on my managed node(this is
> my admin network(199.1.10.*)).
> Now it is not reachable on the quest network.
> Isn't this suppose to be breth1(guest network(192.168.50.*))?
> The management server has ip 192.168.50.200(quest) and 199.1.10.1(admin).
> If i boot with pxe from eth1 on the node breth0 wil get ip 192.168.50.201
> but also the dns server will be 192.168.50.200.
> Dis is not working , because it can't resolve the name of the ovirt serer
> and the node won,t show up in the gui.
>
> Please help..
>
> Mike Maarse

You have correctly realized that pxebooting a VM doesn't work with the
2-network setup (I think this is what you're describing, anyway). The
preferred method for installing a VM is to put an ISO image in cobbler
and boot that, assigning the VM to your guest network. We create a
special nfs share on the server for ISOs that all the nodes mount over
the admin network. (Alternatively, you could run another cobbler
instance on your guest network and pxe from that -- but it won't be
integrated with oVirt at all.)

Does this help at all?

Take care,
--Hugh