[Ovirt-devel] representing networks on the node : about VLANs

Nicolas Ochem nicolas.ochem at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Apr 21 13:06:37 UTC 2010

I would like to add a few points to the new network model proposed.

- a Physical Network can be attached to real NIC cards and virtual machines
- a VLAN network belongs to a Physical Network. For each NIC attached to
a physical network containing VLANS, we should create VLAN interfaces on
the node, and bridges attached to these interfaces. A VLAN Network can
be attached to virtual machines just like a Physical Network.

Typical use case scenario : a user create a Physical Network designed to
contain VLAN traffic. Then he builds many VLAN Networks belonging to
that physical network, and connects his Virtual Machines to some of
these VLAN networks.

The work required is :
- on the server : refactor the networking model (today a VLAN Network
has the same properties than a Physical Network)
- on the node : create VLAN interfaces and bridges. I was able to do
that previously by passing interface parameters to the node containing
...|VLAN=true|...