[Ovirt-devel] Making the node generic...

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 18:37:48 UTC 2010

One task I'm working on is to make the managed node more generic, so
that it can be leveraged by other hypervisor managers in the same way
that it is managed by the ovirt-wui.

One thing I'm considering doing is to add a new configuration file to
the node, /etc/sysconfig/node-config. This will be a central point for
defining specific elements, such as management servers, user names, etc.
And it can be overridden by a configuration management system, such as
puppet. Options specified in it should also be easily overridden by
kernel arguments if necessary.

Now, to the topic of making the node generic. Currently I'm documenting
the startup process for the node in order to identify the points where a
node would want to perform key events, such as notifying a management
system that the node is online, or report its hardware and configuration
information, etc.

What I would like to do is make the startup process as modular as
possible. That way a third party can take the node and provide new
functionality for a separate management system without having to change
the code provided by the node itself.

One method I was considering is to have a directory for scripts, and
then execute those on the node. So, for example, with a directory called
/etc/node/startup, if the node finds a script name "awake" then it would
execute that during that stage. Or, if it finds one named
"network-change" then it would execute that script when it detected a
change in networking interfaces.

Thoughts? Questions?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/