[Ovirt-devel] Making the node generic...

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 19:35:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:50:37PM -0500, Perry Myers wrote:
> This is a good start to genericizing things.  One thing to keep in mind is
> that it is better to use some sort of standard external interface for
> doing as much as possible rather than providing infinite and arbitrary
> hooks/scripts plugins.
>
> i.e. rather than providing N hooks for allowing remote configuration of a
> node for stateless mode, instead provide a single interface using a well
> known standard like AMQP/REST/dnssrv to do this.  Then other users of the
> node can just adopt the standard and move forward without needing to
> modify the node image itself.

I agree that working with a standard is the way to go, and using any
combination of the above is better. But how about data encoding; i.e.,
how to package together the hardware description, for example? The above
describe a few different ways of discovering the management server, but
don't provide a way to encode data to be delivered. Are there any standards
for that? I'm not aware of any, personally.

> But providing some level of arbitrary hooks is a good idea in general, so
> we should do that as well.  I just think the more people use those hooks
> the more they'll deviate from the standard node image and the harder it
> will be to support in the community.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/