[Ovirt-devel] libvirt-qpid and live migration

Ian Main imain at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 01:13:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 09:33 +0200, Arthur Clément wrote:
> I have troubles with live migration since I upgraded libvirt on my nodes
>
> 1) I have to change 'Libvirt::Domain::MIGRATE_LIVE'  to '1' in taskomatic
> error :
> Error: uninitialized constant Libvirt::Domain::MIGRATE_LIVE
> and why '1' : http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html
>

> 2) the migration fails with this error :
> Task action processing failed: RuntimeError: Timed out waiting for response
>
> So I looked into taskomatic code and I saw this comment :
>
> # Sadly migrate with qpid is broken because it requires a connection between
> # both nodes and currently that can't happen securely.  For now we do it
> # the old fashioned way..
>
> I could'nt get Ian Main on Irc, so I asked here if someone knows about this
> issue.
>
> I tried to test qpid migration with python (method : migrate(destinationUri,
> flags, newDomainName, uri, bandwidth)) but I might be to stupid to know what's
> the difference between destinationUri and uri. I tested objectid, hostname...
> I only got errors.
>
> My idea is to test live migration with qpid and replace the old method if it
> works.

My guess is it's some kind of networking issue.  Especially the
timeoutaerror makes me think it's probably firewalled or something.  I
seem to recall this worked at one point but it's definitely not ideal.

IIRC we figured that what we needed was to create an API for libvirt
which split the migrate into two parts.. one would call setup_migrate
and return a string containing auth, port info etc. and a second call on
the source machine that would take that string and do the actual
migration.

Best thing would be to get it working using virsh first to make sure it
works and then debug with libvirt-qpid.

	Ian