[Ovirt-devel] Out of memory causes VM shutdown

Justin Clacherty justin at redfish.com.au
Tue Sep 28 09:04:01 UTC 2010

I created a new VM today and it ran for a while before mysteriously disappearing.  I logged in to the node it was running on to take a look at the logs and it looks as though the VM was shut down because the node ran out of memory.  This particular node has 8GB in it and was running 4 VMs (including the crashed one).  The memory assigned to each VM was 4G, 1.5G, 512M, 256M.  It was the 256M VM that was started last and that's the one that was shutdown.  What are the memory requirements of the host OS?

Another thing I've noticed on the node is that as the memory usage increases a lot of processor time is spent running ksmd.  Presumably it's spending time reclaiming memory from buffers and cache.  Aren't buffers generally used for disk buffering?  Does the host OS need to do this given the guest OS will also be buffering the disks?

Cheers,
Justin.