[Ovirt-devel] oVirt Node Fedora Feature Status

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 17:52:44 UTC 2011

On 07/30/2011 10:16 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ovirt_Node_Spin

Wanted to give an update on this.

As mentioned earlier, we have approval from QE and Design teams.  In the
absence of the Spin SIG being able to grant an approval, this was passed
to release engineering who reviewed the spin.

Unfortunately, based upon the current release engineering rules (which
are heavily oriented towards Desktop usage and not Server usage) oVirt
Node really can't be accepted as is into Fedora as an official Spin.

Details are here:
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/4864

Basically in order to get this accepted by releng it looks like we'd
have to make so many fundamental changes to what oVirt Node is, that it
wouldn't be worth it in terms of leveraging the Fedora community for
visibility and testing.  (For example, we already had to remove our
blacklisting which increased image size from ~150MB to ~250MB)

I think a more reasonable plan would be to focus on oVirt Node as a
derivative distribution that is focused on virtualization deployment.
We can absolutely highlight that oVirt Node is built on Fedora and
leverages the great work that the Fedora team/community has done, but it
should be considered a separate distribution that is more closely
associated with the oVirt brand/project umbrella.

>From that perspective, we would build oVirt Node ISOs in parallel with
Fedora releases and host them directly with ovirt.org site.  And we'd
only need one variant (the one with blacklisting enabled).

This should be community decision, not unilateral, so I'd like other
people's thoughts on this.

Chime in :)

Perry