[Ovirt-devel] Hook script to preserve one partition untouched during install

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:27:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Higor Aparecido Vieira Alves
<halves at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> New version of hook script to preserve one partition untouched during
> install.

Thanks for posting the hook script, this functionality looks
interesting so let's see how we could integrate it into main ovirt
installation.

Let me try to summarize the use-case first:
- machine is pre-provisioned in manufacturing and partition table is
pre-created on the disk
- there's a service partition with preloaded recovery image or some
other partition with preloaded data which should not be touched by
ovirt installer

> - Can ignore multiple partitions (up to 9)
>        ignore_vol=sda:2;3;4

I would propose to explore extending the semantics of the current
parameters before adding new.
Current storage_init syntax is
storage_init=HOSTVGDISK1[,HOSTVGDISK2...][;APPVGDISK1[,APPVGDISK2...]]
  where DISK=[ata|cciss|scsi|usb[:serial#]|/dev/...]

We could reverse the logic of your "ignore_vol" and specify which
partitions to _use_ for HostVG and AppVG, and allow specifying a list
of partition where LVM physical volumes are to be created. Specified
partition is assumed to exist i.e. it is pre-created somehow in
manufacturing.

For example, storage_init=/dev/sda1./dev/sdc1,/dev/sdc2;/dev/sdb1
would create HostVG spanning sda1, sdc1 and sdc2 and AppVG PV on sdb1.

> - New boot parameter, data2_size to set Data2 Size (in MB)
>        data2_size=15000

After above storage_init change is implemented, this should be covered
by the existing storage_vol parameter
storage_vol=size[,{Swap|Data|Config|Logging|Data2|Swap2}][:size...]

Alan