From:  Michael K. Johnson[SMTP:johnsonm@redhat.com]
Sent:  Friday, June 21, 1996 4:34 PM
To:  pam-list
Subject:  Re: passwd

One thing that npasswd did right that passwd+ doesn't seem to is that
when passing the password to a helper application, it popens it and
passes it on stdin instead of as a command-line argument.  Passing
passwords as command-line arguments (such as with the ispell.test
shell script) is a very, very bad idea.  We really want to have
dictionary checking, but doing it the way the passwd+ module currently
does it is more insecure than not doing it at all.