Re: PAMification

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Tim Hockin wrote:

> Has anyone undertaken PAMification of these?  I think they, especially
> with the limits patches, are far superior.

The under_construction PAM 0.53 library will support limits and wheel group,
RADIUS authetication, maybe even RADIUS session management if I will have the
time to do it, in short few very useful features over the PAM 0.50 shipped by
RedHat in 4.0 (in fact RedHat's 0.50 is not quite 0.50 - it is heavily
patched, so at the feature level is quite recent, but the code changed _so
much_ between RedHat version and the development version of PAM, that I have
nightmares thinking of integrating the two releases back...)

If I will have time, I will check which apps need to be recompiled under
PAM 0.53 version and provide some unofficial RPMS for this (sounds
familiar, Tim ? :-). Anyway, given the flexibility of PAM, I think that
only login and su shall need some minor changes, the other PAM-ified apps
will work okay.

Following the RedHat style, no realease date for 0.53, but it will happen
Real SOON(tm).

> anyone?  I may be coming into some free time.....not much but..
> redhat4 has a shadow-utils package, and I could see it having these as
> standard, too.

I think you could go for it and make an unofficial shadow-utils with
user{add,mod,del}, group{...} and chage included in the package (I think
these ones RedHat still missed, although they agreed that they are _very_
useful and no PAM-ification is needed for them.

More than this, after PAM 0.53 release...

Best regards,
		Cristian Gafton
Cristian Gafton                                    gafton@sorosis.ro
Computers & Communications Center              Network Administrator
35 Moara de Foc St., Iasi 6600, ROMANIA           Tel: +40-32-252938
http://www.cccis.ro                               Fax: +40-32-252933