Re: GDBM/DB password file support

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 schemers@stanford.edu wrote:

> you start dealing with updates, etc, so having another API to deal
> with all the various /etc/passwd stuff is probably not a bad idea, we
> just didn't think it belonged in PAM, and it might have slowed down
> the adoption of PAM if it was put in.

Well, the libpwdb is quite generic and not limited to pam. In fact I
think that with very little modification it will compile and run just fine
outside PAM environment. libpwdb originated at the same time we have
started to deal with updates and maintenance of different module types
which seemd to have a lot of redundant code, quite hard to eliminate
without another API. So Andrew decided that it is a good time, with the
price of slowing down the PAm development a little, to start libpwdb and
settle this thing once for good. :-)

Best regards,

		Cristian Gafton
Cristian Gafton                                    gafton@sorosis.ro
Computers & Communications Center              Network Administrator
35 Moara de Foc St., Iasi 6600, ROMANIA           Tel: +40-32-252938
http://www.cccis.ro                               Fax: +40-32-252933