Re: GDBM/DB password file support

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Basically, since libc is doing NIS functionality already for things other
> than authentication, why not let it get the auth info for PAM as well?
> Perhaps what needs to be done is find a way to use the low-level NYS stuff
> from libc in an application or PAM module.

I think this is right on. Using /etc/pam.conf to control authentication
methods and /etc/nsswitch.conf to control system databases is the right
approach. It gives each config file a set domain of problems to solve.

> Or we could look at the glibc functionality and use that idea...?

glibc users /etc/nsswitch.conf to configure database sets and dynamically
loads the database access libraries it needs as they are needed. This seems
to work well on Linux/Alpha, which is the only place I've used glibc.

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
       us when we've die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar
|   Erik Troan   =   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/   =   ewt@sunsite.unc.edu    |