Re: shadow and other questions..

Shane DeRidder wrote:

> I apologize if this has been answered in a FAQ or other document.  I've
> been doing a lot of hunting to find out the answers and can't seem to come
> up with anything.

The worst question is the not-asked question....

> First, I have heard PAM is shadow-capable.  I have a couple Alpha UDB's
> running RedHat 4.0 (Linux kernel 2.0.22) that I will be using for unix
> shell accounts and for obvious reasons, I would like to shadow the
> passwords.  Is this possible with PAM?

Yup. It's so easy:

pwunconv5
chmod /etc/shadow- /etc/passwd-		; This for security reasons

Bacause login, su, xdm, ftpd, etc. are PAM-aware the conversion
works automagically.....

> Alternatively, I've also heard that PAM can authenticate using RADIUS.
> Are there modules available to do this yet?

I would like to know that, also....

--
Mario A. Guerra (mguerra@ns.ucr.ac.cr)
Soporte de UNIX y Sistemas Abiertos (UNIX and open systems support)