Re: Null password + pam_unix_auth

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Craig S. Bell wrote:

> 	We've got a new user service on one of our hosts: a restricted lynx
> session that allows people to sign up for a new account.  This account has
> no password. People simply type "new" and go straight to lynx...
>
> 	We've since upgraded to RHL Vanderbilt, and now /bin/login prompts
> for a password; pressing enter will get you in.  That's fine, but I would
> rather have the old behavior and keep it as automated as possible.

Put this line right in front of the pam_unix_auth line of the 'login'
section in /etc/pam.conf:

login auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=allow file=/etc/nopassusers onerr=fail

(this should be all one line)

In /etc/nopassusers, list all the users that you don't want a password
prompted for:
new
lynxuser
guestaccount

(you get the idea)

> 	For dialin lines, I can use mgetty magic to do greet new users, but
> that doesn't help with telnet/rlogin.  My goal is to have "telnet -l new
> hostname" (from anywhere) start the special shell without further ado.

Hope this does it.

-- Elliot Lee
   http://www.redhat.com/             http://www.linuxexpo.org/