Re: SSH w/ Pam?

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
>
> > I just installed Cristian Gafton's Pam 0.56, Libpwd and Shadow suite.
> > Everything else seems to be working without any problems except for my SSH
> > server and my Z-pop Popmail server.
> >
> > Is there any way to get these programs, who know nothing about Shadow and
> > MD5, to work with Pam? I don't have source for either of them.....
>
> ssh is not going to work with PAM any time soon - more than one person has
> tried (don't use any of the ugly hacks floating around). SSH source is
> available at ftp://ftp.cs.hut.fi/pub/ssh/

ARGHH!!! SSH is a neccessity here! It used to work without Shadow
Passwords under RedHat 4.0 and 4.1. I guess this means that I have to go
back to using Non-Shadowed passwords!

Also, something else that I have noticed is that pam_cracklib is a little
too forgiving. If you enter something that it finds in the dictionary, it
will spit out "Bad Password - Found in dictionary" and then prompt you for
confirmation of the password. If you confirm it it goes ahead and changes
it!

Anyone else have this experience? I can live without shadowed passwords if
I can use an anal cracklib w/ 80 megs of dictionaries.

Is pam_cracklib configurable at all? How?

--
      President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
             SLIP/PPP/Unix Shell   28.8k / ISDN / Leased Line