setting PAM_AUTHTOK from an application

I just looked at the source code for pppd-2.3b3, and it sets PAM_AUTHTOK
and returns an error if its conversation function is called.  Is that
kosher?  I thought it wasn't, which is why I wrote my hack conversation
function that I've used in protocol-bound apps.  If it's kosher, I get
to do some cleaning up...

michaelkjohnson